Friday, January 02, 2009

TV complaint

I am one of those poor suckers who does not have an HDTV yet. My four and a half year old low-def TV is not a widescreen like all the newer TVs. This means that when things happen on the edges of the screen, I don't see them.

Normally this is not a problem. I don't watch a lot of TV shows, but what I do watch is formatted appropriately for my TV. When it comes to watching sports, CBS producers do a good job of keeping the action in the middle of the screen where I can see it. (I am a Browns fan; almost all of their games are on CBS. For college football, ABC and ESPN producers are equally competent.)

But Fox producers are terrible at this. I rarely watch the NFL on Fox, so I haven't noticed this until bowl season. All three games Fox has shown so far have a ton of action happening with only half of it on my screen, or sometimes off it entirely (for example, the sack that ended the first quarter in the Sugar Bowl? I could barely tell what was happening).

This is just another reason why the BCS stinks. There are many others, of course, but nobody is talking about how the BCS sold the TV deal to a network that doesn't produce a single college football game all year until it's time for the most important ones. (And while we're at it, we should mention that Fox then went and staffed those games with announcing teams that aren't any good either.) I am no fan of ESPN, but it will be a welcome change when the BCS games move there in a few years.

No comments: