Thursday, May 25, 2006

Defending Cleveland

Job hunting is tough. If you don't have something on your resume that makes you stand out, you're just another face in the crowd. I'm not at the top of my class, I don't have a famous name, and I haven't summered at a top-100 firm. So I added an "Interests / Other" section to my resume and included, of course, "Was born and raised on a miniature donkey farm." It's been brilliant as an ice breaker--I've been asked about it in every single interview. People love it.

Naturally I couldn't have just one "other," so I decided to add "Defending Cleveland" to the list. I'm an outsider here in Cincinnati, and I'm always having to stick up for my home town. That's worked pretty well too--Cincinnati and Cleveland are much more similar than a lot of people realize, and both have a lot going for them.

But after seeing this, I am striking "Defending Cleveland" from the proverbial record. Good God. They say you can never go home again, and they are right.

3 comments:

M said...

But what do you say when they ask you about it? That you just thought it would be a funny thing for your resume? Or is it actually true? Either way it's awesome.

Nye! said...

Oh, it's absolutely true. I guess now that I think about it, I realize that I haven't done a very good job with posting about my hillbilly heritage. There are four posts relating to donkeys here, here, here and here though.

Anyway, what do I say when they ask about it? Lately I've been having to clarify that the donkeys are miniature, and that the farm is full-sized. They inevitably ask what people do with miniature donkeys, and I usually make up something ridiculous, because I have no idea what the truth is.

Giselle said...

If you find out the magical formula for getting hired (you know, beyond donkeys since I don't think I could fudge that one), please share. Job hunting stinks.