Thursday, March 02, 2006

Vote for Jeef

We just had the elections for the editorial board of the Law Review, and let's just say that there's a pretty good reason I was not elected Editor-in-Chief. Yeah, I threw my hat in the proverbial ring, wrote my statement of interest, kissed buttons and handed out babies. And with only a few hours until the election I still had almost eleven dollars in the Nye for Editor fund. No sense letting that go to waste.

I swung by Wal-Mart and picked up a "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt (cost, $10.64; funds remaining, $0.17) and grabbed a red Sharpie off my desk. I crossed out Pedro and proceeded to write my name below it. Then I put it on, and threw my dress shirt and coat and tie over top (I was coming from an interview) and headed back to the law school. Once the election meeting started I very casually took off my jacket and loosened my tie ("boy, it's hot in here, isn't it?"), unbuttoned the sleeves and pulled off my shirt, very casually, and just sit back and waited to see who would notice.

A few people noticed, and laughed, and eventually it spread around the room. Everyone was pointing and laughing and having a good time. But there was a problem. See, my name is Jeff. But in my effort to get the name centered on the shirt, I first drew a big blocky E between the second and third letters in Pedro, and then said to myself, "OK, just do the same thing on the other side." And so I drew another E.

Let me say that again. My name is Jeff. J-E-F-F. I made one E, and then I made another. Well, what could I do at that point? So I just wrote on the J and the F and hoped no one would notice.

They noticed.

So there I am, with my own name misspelled on a shirt that I made. Took a great idea that might have garnered me at least a few sympathy votes and totally blew it. I'm sure I didn't get a single one.

Maybe the worst part about it was that as I was standing there and everyone was laughing about it, someone handed me a bottle of white-out. That had not even occurred to me. I have a bottle sitting on my desk at home, right next to the red Sharpie. And still I came to the elections with a shirt that said "Vote for Jeef." I'm an idiot.

But hey, congrats to everyone who was elected. I think it will be a good year for anyone who is not named or working for someone named Waddle.

10 comments:

The Namby Pamby said...

You are an inspiration to us all

trotskey said...

At least you got a position (albeit one that no one else would volunteer for), I was totally shut out. I guess I don't read well with the people I've never talked to and probably never will crowd.

Kat said...

You're my hero, Jeef. :D I would've voted for you.

According to Trotskey's comment, you still got a position despite your obvious difficulties with spelling, so Congrats on that!! :)

Moral Turpitude said...

This made me laugh out loud. You're an ass. I like that.

Me said...

"with my own name misspelled on a shirt that I made"

That is truly awesome. Here I thought that *I* was the only one who did things like that!!

Cosmopolitan said...

Classic! This is hysterical!

Anonymous said...

Pedro lacks political experience. You were doomed from the start for picking that T-shirt.

The BLS said...

OMG. That is hysterical!

Sorry you didn't win. :(

Clever WoT said...

I don't know, I'd think misspelling your name on the shirt would get you MORE sympathy votes. Mostly, I think it's hilarious you went with the "hopefully no one will notice" route.

M said...

Good work Jeef. Who really wants to be editor of law review anyway? It's the proverbial pie eating contest where the reward is more pie.