Thursday, February 23, 2006

Tarasoff symposium

The Weaver Institute of Law and Psychiatry at UC is hosting a symposium to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Tarasoff decision, which established a duty on behalf of psychotherapists to protect the public from violent acts of their own patients. Normally this is the sort of thing I can get behind. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoy the guest lectures and symposia that we have here at the College of Law.

But they screwed up this time. It's scheduled to run from 8:00 - 4:30 on Friday, March 17. Anyone see a problem with that? Yeah, not only is it St. Patrick's Day, it's also the day before Spring Break starts. And while I think we can all agree that the duty to warn is always on the mind of law students, I think I speak for everyone when I say that it doesn't quite reach the signifance of St. Patrick's Day coinciding with Spring Break. I could be wrong.

3 comments:

trotskey said...

Dude, they're totally serving green beer and car bombs at the symposium. Didn't you read the back of the pamphlet?

Nye! said...

Oh, my bad. I am defintely down then. Trotskey, you and I will get hammered and talk about crazies. It will be awesome.

joe said...

I have been falsely accused of stating that it is my intent to kill people. This psychologist is abusing the tarasoff law. I was arrested but released the next day. However, I am now considered armed and dangerous, lost my job, and have a felony arrest record for life. Any Help? JSFitz@iname.com