Tuesday, February 07, 2006

At least it's not the HIV

One of my best friends from high school is being deployed to Afghanistan on Wednesday morning.  I was chatting with him on the phone last night and he was describing some of the briefings he's had to go through in the last few days.  Because he's a Medical Service Officer, he's had to undergo training to be able to respond to emergent situations ( e.g., putting in trache tubes) and to recognize some of the more common diseases, including one he called "athlete's foot of the penis."

Now, I'm not saying nothin about what goes on over there when the lights get turned down.  And believe me, I respect and appreciate what all those men and women are doing.  But come on come on, guys.  Wash your socks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um. I think he's referring to jock itch. Not pleasant, but certainly common, and definitely not an STD.

Energy Spatula said...

I once saw three cases of "trench foot" on a deployment -- I think it's some form of gangrene and it makes your foot look REALLY GROSS. Granted, my story doesn't involve anyone's crotch, but it was still gross.

Nye! said...

Anon -- he's definitely not talking about jock itch, though they are similar. Trust me on this one.

I don't know what to say about "trench foot," other than that it reminds me of "the blackfoot" in Mr. Deeds.