Friday, January 13, 2006

My new favorite procrastination tool

I spent countless hours this summer playing with Google Maps, but lately I've become fascinated with these so-called "mashups.". Basically people are taking the Google Maps and adding their own points of interest.

For example, here's one where you can track the real-time location of the commuter trains in Dublin, Ireland.

Here's one where you can find all the sexual predators in Georgia (complete with photos).

This one's my favorite -- it allows you to see which of your neighbors made donations to the 2004 presidential candidates.

You can find a great index of mashups here.

3 comments:

EK said...

mapsexoffenders.com lets you do basically the whole country (42 states, i think). I learned that the guy who was a special ed teacher in my middle school is now a sex offender. Lovely.

Cosmopolitan said...

Awww...Nye, thanks for looking out for your loyal Georgian readers :)

Nye! said...

That's me. Nothing if not vigilant.