Thursday, December 08, 2005

Snow

Forecasters are calling for 2-4 inches of snow betwen 4pm and 12am. Traffic started snarling at 2:00 for the storm that had not yet arrived and current projections suggest that it will take me approximately four hours to drive the nine miles to my house. It normally takes less than 20 minutes.

I have to hand it to them though -- the city is well-prepared this time. To wit, they have been salting the roads since Sunday afternoon and have rendered my television virtually useless with warnings, watches, and maps. And now that the "snow" is actually "here," they will sit around and do nothing while everybody freaks out.

This city loses its fucking mind at the threat of snow. Every year they get one or two big storms, and every time they act like it's the first one they've ever seen. I know 14 year-olds who know how to drive in snow better than the good people of Cincinnati, and they're not even allowed to drive.

3 comments:

MP said...

Cheers.
Just stumbled upon your blog, and I must commend you. 'Tis a lovely 'blog. Also, I share your concerns regarding snow and the poor driving standards that seem to come of it. Up here in Canada, it isn't too huge a problem since we generally all switch from cars to dogsleds just before Christmas.
Also this: You rock.
One more: I lied. We don't use dogsleds. We use crazy carpets.

Cosmopolitan said...

If you think Cincy panics with the threat of snow, you should tune into the Atlanta news the next time we're expecting a flake to fall...

Nye! said...

MP, if I had a dogsled today, I would be home already. Instead, I am sitting in the library waiting for traffic to die down. I think the same car has been in front of the law school for about two hours.

Cosmo, here's something else I don't get. Atlanta has freeways that are like 12 lanes wide. How is it even possible for those to get congested? Lots of decent-sized cities manage just fine with 3 lanes.