Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Rob Neyer is a fraud

Neyer is a senior baseball writer for ESPN.com. About two weeks ago he wrote a column detailing the AL playoff possibilities -- for example, if Cleveland won 2 of their last 3 and Boston won 2 of their last 3, this would be the result, etc., etc. For all of the one-game playoff possibilities, he had an historical footnote about the matchup. Like, for a Cleveland-Boston one-game playoff, he noted that they played in 1948, the last time the Indians won the World Series. For a Boston-New York one-game playoff, he mentioned the Bucky Dent game. And for the possibility of a Cleveland-New York playoff, he wrote that it had never happened before -- "as near as I can tell," he wrote, "these teams have never played a game at the end of the season that meant something to both of them."

Thinking myself very clever, I wrote to him, saying "What do you mean these teams have never played a game at the end of the season that meant something to both of them? Haven't you seen Major League?" I didn't expect a response, so imagine my surprise when he wrote back:

"Actually, I have not. That would've made a great note in the column, though."

Whaa?? Never seen Major League? A senior baseball writer? You've got to be kidding me. "Why?" I asked him. "A matter of principle at this point? Just not a movie guy? Don't like Dennis Haysbert?" Responded Rob, "I just don't watch comedies unless I think they'll be funny." Simply stunning. Consider this the start (and end) of my campaign to get Rob Neyer impeached, or something.

In other sports news, it was a good week in football. The Browns won, the Bungles lost, and I went 3-1 in fantasy. That makes me a less-than-stellar 11-8 overall, and puts me in 1st place, 4th place, 7th place, and 7th place in the order that I care about the leagues. So, it could be worse.

Also, Braylon Edwards is still in the hospital with a staph infection he probably picked up in Indy two weeks ago. Lee Suggs managed to fracture his thumb despite playing only 3 plays on Sunday, officially making him more fragile than Chad Pennington and Juan Gonzalez combined. Edwards could be out anywhere from a few days to a few months, and Suggs is expected to miss about four weeks.

No comments: