Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Oh, See, I (thought I'd get a job)

I'm not commensurate with any job opportunities. However, at least it isn't the firm telling me this. Our CPD has decided to pre-screen our resumes. Amazing. What was the point of me doing OCI again? I've learned my lesson, all resumes will be now sent directly. Also, I'd like a refund for the 17 dollars that I spent at Kinko's and all the time that I wasted putting this business together. It's more than a little embarrassing for students to have to re-send resumes to firms, not sure whether or not the firm actually received the resume in the first place. It really makes us look professional as well.

My favorite is a fellow law student's godfather was disturbed when his godson "didn't apply" for a job with his firm. Turns out he did apply, just CPD figured he wouldn't get a job there. He's interviewing today.

Not having a job is starting to get really depressing. Especially because I see a lot of people with suits on that I could do a much better job than. I'm talking about you, Mr. always eats in class, never shows up on time, reads notes off the girl's computer next to him, but his mom has a really good job. Nepotism is back. Due to the high number of call-backs, it really looks like the CPD chose the right people to interview.

Oh, and yes, Go Tribe.

9 comments:

Trotskey said...

I don't want to sound jealous or anything, but it seems as if the only people that get jobs out of the top ten in our class are the ones who I would dread getting stuck in a conversation with. By the way, if you are reading this, I'm not talking about you. Go CPD!!! Congrats on not being able to place sixty to seventy percent of the top twenty students last year and a solid head start towards the same this fall.

Dirty Martini said...

Memories....

Career Services doesn't give two shits about anyone who isn't in the top 10-20%.It was the same way at our school...and everywhere else, or so it seems. I've even heard the same complaints from Emory people here in Atlanta. It SUCKS.

I can't believe your school is prescreening - that's appalling. If I were an employer I'd be pissed that they took some of my choices from me. Who the hell are they to call the shots on what i may or may not want in an EE??

Bastards.

(sorry - a little of my "graduated in may and still don't have a job" rage shining through)

Nye! said...

I'd heard rumors about this, but now we know it's true, and I am pissed. We need to get organized and get to the bottom of this, whether that means going to someone in the career office or someone in the Dean's office.

How many of the firms that sent me 'rejection letters' never even got my resume? If I knew who they were, I'd send them a hard copy today. This is not the level of professionalism that I expect from the Center for Professional Development. Sweet fucking Christ.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nye! said...

Today, Mr. Always-Eats-in-Class doesn't have his standard burrito -- instead he has some sort of Chinese food and is eating it with chopsticks. Yes, that's correct, he's using chopsticks in an 11-person class.

Tre! said...

Unfortunately, he's probably doing it in a shirt and tie, getting ready for another interview. Tell him not to get any soy sauce on his dress shirt.

Anonymous said...

well, i guess we know that a hukah is essential to job-performance.

-meaty

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Productive Citizen: every-so-often rant said...

make sure to thank rita for not recircumcizing houston...

go tribe!