Monday, August 08, 2005

Lessons I've learned from Drew Rosenhaus

Drew Rosenhaus likes to call himself "The Shark." His penchant for holding players out of camp and forcing the renegotiation of long-term contracts has made him public enemy number one with most NFL GMs. However, the rest of us average joes can learn something from his tactics.

First, as I stated in earlier posts, I attempted to declare for early entry to the OSBA and join a firm directly after my first year of law school. Unfortunately, the OSBA enacted a new age-limit policy mimicking the NBA and NFL. Luckily, Mr. Rosenhaus hadn't yet contacted me, so I still have eligibility. Instead of going to a legal prep school for a year, or joining the OSBDL (Ohio State Bar Developmental League), I decided one more year of stardom at UC Law was the correct choice. There are some good 3L role players, and some nice recruits in the 1L class that will help fill out the roster, so I think we have a legit shot at making the playoffs this year.

My next action as my own agent was to hold myself out of summer intern camp for the last few weeks. I'm looking for a guaranteed offer from a firm for next summer and guarantees for 2007. Most firms only look to give a club option for that second summer, but I think I'm gathering momentum in negotiations. My main point is most firms' willingness to deal established veterans to teams that just aren't contending anymore. For instance, my employer had no qualms dealing Steve from HR to the Dayton Holiday Inn bellhops for cash and an employee to be named later. I also pointed to the fact that both BW3 and Boston Market are hiring in Hyde Park. I'd be willing to sign a one-year deal with either of those teams, star for a year, and hope the new collective bargaining agreement lowers the luxury tax that's holding most of these teams back.

In the end I'm just looking for a concrete guarantee. It's ridiculous that firms are allowed to fire employees at any time. I need a long-term deal. I have to feed my family. So here's the message to firms that are looking to draft me for their Summer League Associate teams: I'm looking for guaranteed money up front, at least a 3 year contract with a mutual option for a fourth year, a 10% raise over last year's summer associates, and a chance to start right away. A personal masseuse would not be a bad perk either.

So there it is. Not like this all really matters, odds are I wasn't gonna get hired anyway. I think I may make some of these demands in interviews.

No comments: