Saturday, August 06, 2005

Football season is almost here

Is everyone else as retarded as I am about fantasy football? It’s not all fantasy sports (to wit, my fantasy baseball team consists entirely of Cleveland Indians) – it’s just football. I’m not really sure why I do it.

But here it is, the first week of August, and I’m busy making lists of the offensive starters for every team, with cryptic notations next to each one to mark who’s switched teams, which receiver has a different QB throwing to him, and who’s likely to be threatened for playing time. Soon I will be ranking them and plotting draft strategy. Before law school, I could keep up with NFL news well enough that I could name every offensive skill starter for every team, and most of the line and defense too. Now, I’m almost ashamed to admit that it took me almost three minutes to remember that Oakland picked up LaMont Jordan in the offseason. I actually had to call my brother in Phoenix to be reminded that the Cardinals drafted JJ Arrington. Yes, I’m a dork.

Anyway, my point is, the rankings are under way and drafting is currently slated to begin in ten days. That means that starting on August 17, you, our lucky readers, can expect over four and a half months of at least weekly commentary on my fantasy football teams. I know, I can’t wait either.

In other news, my wife and I are buying a car. A new one. Like, with zero miles on it. Today. Kind of fun. As if we didn’t have enough debt already, right?

Finally, my younger brother wants to know, why is this guy looking at the camera?

Also, it's that time of year again when we have to be writing cover letters and submitting resumes and begging for jobs for next summer. So if any of you want to just go ahead and put in a word for me, that'd be great. Thanks.

No comments: