Sunday, May 08, 2005

Return of the J.D.

So, there's a guy in our law school class that "dropped out" earlier in the semester. Then, on the last day of class, he recanted and decided that he was law school material after all. While some profs aren't letting him sit for exams, others have no idea that he was even gone. And yes, I'm completely jealous that I didn't think of this idea first. Skip class, relax all semester, buy a Gilberts, and cram for a few weeks before exams is a better plan than regular attendance in class and regular preparation. Odds are, I'd do just as well with the drop out/return plan as I'm going to this semester (I am blogging instead of studying for exams). It's just comforting to know that you can quit something halfway through, then enjoy the full fruits of the labor you should have put in.

This plan isn't just brilliant for law school, I think I'm going to apply it to a lot of other facets of my life.

Summer Associate positions: Can you say 4 weeks of work for the summer? I can.

Working Out: Hit the gym one day, quit for 6 weeks. Wake up one morning completely jacked.

Dating: 6 weeks off right after every first date. That way, I don't have to wade through all the normal dating crap, and I can return for when things really start to get crazy in the bedroom.

Birthday: With one hour left in my birthday, I will take 6 weeks off. This will extend my birthday from 24 hours of drunken insanity, to a 6 week period. Something like Mardi Gras. (This can also apply to Spring Break, or any vacation time for the "adults" out there)

Golf game: Take one golfing lesson, 6 weeks later join Tiger on tour.

Drinking: OK, just kidding, the 6 weeks off won't apply to all facets of my life.

The 6 weeks off program also comes in very handy for: prison time, professional sports teams (if the Cavs had taken 6 weeks off, we'd be in the playoffs), pregnancy, quitting smoking, paying debts, and taking long walks on the beach (??).

Feel free to take my idea and run with it, just remember to give credit where credit is due (like when this guy should cite Emmanuels or other people's outlines on his exams).

5 comments:

Alda said...

OK, I'll take it and run with it on the beach... (???)
Pretty good life-plan, though.

Moral Turpitude said...

I wonder if some of the profs didn't let him sit for exams because they were afraid he'd do too well. I'm quite fond of Gilberts myself.

Nye! said...

I wish I could have taken six weeks off before yesterday's Property exam. Ouch.

Apple Martini said...

ummm, is that not the way you are supposed to do law school? crap! i have to turn in my diploma since the university didn't teach me - Examples and Explainations did ;)

Nye! said...

While I love Examples and Explanations too, I don't think you're grasping the full scope of this thing. This guy didn't just stop coming to class, he dropped out. Like, from what I understand he didn't even show up for his oral argument for our Advocacy class, leaving his opponent high and dry. Would you let that guy come back?